Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Stuff, Newbie

Well here it is. 2012. Another brand new start. Another chance to get things right. Another world of possibilities about to open its doors...

Or it's the end of the world. Who can say? It might be. Depending on how you look at things, it could be all of the above. Or none. Whatevs. Let's not dwell on what it's not because... It really is something. It's a brand shiny new year. And instead of recounting all those resolutions we made while half sauced with good intentions last night - it's time to just get right into to it. Who has time to regret all those lofty promises anyway? Let's just pack up the tree, the tinsel and get moving on them.

Anyone still with me? No? Crawled back into bed because you have to go to work tomorrow?

That's okay. I empathize. That used to be me too. But not anymore.

You see, I changed all that. I took the plunge. It's a huge risk and I really don't know how it will turn out. I'm hopeful though. It's strange how things can work out. Things that look bad at first can surprise you. They can turn around and change your life for the better.

At least that's what I'm hoping for in 2012. Because the last half of 2011 was kind of... well... Let's just say I really hope 2012 is better.

For many of you out there, 2012 is going to be a year of writing. It could be your novel, your blog, many technical papers, insighful news articles - or anything really. This could be the year you decide to take that plunge and head out on your own into a writing career. If this is the year you take your hat off the full time employee enslaved by somebody else peg and move it to the self sustaining newbie writer with big aspirations peg then congratulations! You've joined a million of us drops in the ocean. I'm not being sarcastic when I say it. It's true there are a lot of us out there. I wish you all - myself included - the best. I wish the whole ocean of us success. And  I wish I could tell you that you've made the right decision, but I can't. I really don't know. I'm still a newbie at this too.

It's because of this newbie-ness that I decided to focus this blog in a direction. Well, two directions in fact. It's my idea of getting a good start on 2012.

So in 2012... The first direction this blog will take will be the newbie author gig. That just means that most of the posts here will be focussed on things that concern newbie authors. These won't exactly be posts on - HOW TO SUCCEED AS A NEWBIE AUTHOR - because I obviously don't know. However, I will post the most useful information and references for newbie authors that I find on the web and in the various indy author groups I join. This could involve posting a series of helpful links to useful material, information on writing groups and indie author collectives or support groups you could join. It could also involve having a guest post filled with helpful information. Starting the second week of January, I will begin this stream of posts.

Now the second direction my blog will take will be news about my business of customizing the novels I've written - or any other authors that customize novels - because, that's what I do. It's the plunge I took. Periodically I will post information on my novels and the customization process. It will be information on the books, how to's and maybe even a guest post or two.

Phew. Now that the blog resolution thing is out of the way I guess it's time to tackle the rest of those lofty goals. There are all those new novels to start writing, the social media platforms to grasp, the books to read and review, the house to repair, the kids to encourage.... the list is endless. Thank goodness it's only DAY ONE.

And it's a good thing too. Because I just remembered that other resolution I made last night. Or this morning. Yes. The one that just rose up out that haze filled memory from somewhere around 12:00 a.m. and jabbed me in the side. The one said, "Didn't you promise to have everything from the holiday packed up by the end of January 1?' Grrr. I would get right on it too if it wasn't for that old familiar voice in the back of my head that always rebuts 'Don't sweat the small stuff; you have a whole year ahead of you.'
Ah yes. The friendly voice of reason. The one that always tells me I should always make the best use of my time. And right now, I think that could mean the last minute.And we are all pretty familiar with that last minute. It's the one that caused us to make all those silly resolutions in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, but remember to keep it clean. Kids will read this.